This is such a gorgeous cake that I’ve been thinking about it every day since I made it last week! The bursts of lime through the chocolate cake and then the crunch of a little bite of pistachio makes this cake a real winner in my eyes! You’ll also be happy to hear that it’s really easy to make!
I was looking for a great pudding as my bother and sister-in-law were coming over for dinner. I spotted this on Sunday Brunch and it looked like just what I had in mind!
INGREDIENTS (serves 8)
125g Dark Chocolate (broken up into small pieces)
100g Unsalted Butter
3 Eggs (Separated)
150g Caster Sugar
Zest of 3 Limes (juice of 1)
100g Pistachios (roughly chopped)
50g Plain Flour (sifted)
Ice Cream or Creme Fraiche to serve
- Grease, line and flour a 20cm loose bottom tin.
- Preheat your oven to 180°c / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Melt the 125g of Chocolate and 100g Unsalted Butter by either placing them into a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water or place into a microwaveable bowl & place into the microwave. Make sure you remove the bowl while there’s still small pieces of chocolate left and then stir until smooth.
- Beat the 3 Egg Yolks and 75g of Caster Sugar together in a bowl with a wooden spoon then add the zest of 3 Limes and the juice of 1 Lime and gently mix through. Toss the 100g of roughly chopped Pistachios in 50g of Plain Flour before folding into the mixture (this stops the Pistachios falling to the bottom of the cake).
- In a separate bowl beat the 3 Egg Whites with an electric hand whisk until stiff, then, with the whisk still rotating, add in the other 75g of Caster Sugar a spoonful at a time until stiff and glossy.
- Now add the Chocolate and Butter mixture into the Egg Yolk mixture. Add one spoonful of the Egg Whites into the mixture and mix well then gently fold in the rest of the Egg Whites with a large metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. To test if it’s ready, place a metal skewer into the centre. The end of the skewer should still show a bit of mixture where it’s still sticky. The top of the cake will have formed a crust.
- Serve warm with either Ice Cream or Creme Fraiche.
Melanie, Food Adventurer