Well, I guess that I’d better start out by stating, categorically, that no Moose were harmed during the making of these bars!!
I will start off properly now by explaining that I was very kindly sent a tub of Moose Maple Butter last week and now the worst of the lurgy has left me (although I still have the type of the cough that would scare children), I couldn’t wait to get into the kitchen again and get baking with this tub of gorgeousness!! The best thing about it is that it contains just Butter, Maple Syrup and a sprinkle of Salt…. that’s it!! Now, the obvious option would be to bake some bread and smear the entire tub of maple butter over said bread and have a very enjoyable afternoon consuming every bit myself, but I thought that apart from being a tad greedy, there was so much more I could create with it. I finally plumped for some Maple Pecan Bars, which I have adapted from a recipe from Celebrating Sweets, a mouth-watering page that you need to stop by at!
The resulting bars are quite honestly amazing! The Maple Butter adds an extra dimension to the biscuity base and I’ve had to give myself a strong talking to regarding eating the lot in one sitting!
INGREDIENTS (makes 25 bars)
For the base
110g Moose Maple Butter (or normal unsalted butter if you can’t get your hands on the Moose)
70g Dark Brown Sugar
170g Plain Flour
For the topping
6tbsp Moose Maple Butter
150g Dark Brown Sugar
4tbsp Maple Syrup
1 1/2tbsp Milk
200g Pecans (roughly chopped)
1/4tsp Rough Sea Salt (I used Hebridean Sea Salt) (this part is optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°c / 160°c Fan / 350°f / Gas Mark 4 and line an 8×8 baking tray with greaseproof paper and lightly grease (making sure that the paper is slightly bigger than the tray so that you can lift it out easily once baked).
- Place 110g Butter and 70g Dark Brown Sugar in a food mixer and beat until light and fluffy (you can do this by hand, but prepare for a workout!). Now add 170g Plain Flour and beat again until well combined (it will look quite crumbly at this point and this is as it should be). Tip your mixture into your tray and press it down firmly with the back of a spoon or a glass. Now put your tray into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of baking, prepare the topping. In a medium pan place 6tbsp Butter, 150g Dark Brown Sugar, 4tbsp Maple Syrup, and 1 1/2tbsp Milk and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer for 1 minute before adding your 200g Pecans and mix. Take your tray out of the oven and pour your hot mixture evenly over the top and then return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle your Sea Salt (optional) over the top and place the tray onto a cooling rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Hints & tips
- The topping will be bubbling like mad when you take it out the oven…. do not panic but be careful and don’t even think about dipping your finger in to try it!
- These will take a good couple of hours to cool down completely. You will require great willpower during this time 😉
- Store them in an airtight container and they should last 2-3 days, if they aren’t all eaten by then!
Melanie, Food Adventurer