Round Cookies? Sooooooo last year, bars are definitely the way to go! These little beauties have a slightly crunchy top and a wonderfully chewy bottom, I mean, what’s not to love, right? They’re great with a cup of tea, but I defy you to stop at one!
110g Unsalted Butter
175g Light Soft Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
1tsp Vanilla Extract / Paste
175g Plain Flour (sifted)
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/8tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
130g Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat your oven to 175°c / 160°c Fan / 350°F and line a 9 x 9 (approx) baking tin with greaseproof paper, allowing a little extra paper than you think so it’s easier to lift out once cooled.
2. Place 110g Unsalted Butter in a microwaveable bowl and place into your microwave to melt. (Heat for 30 seconds then remove the bowl and give it a good stir. If there’s still some butter left unmelted, pop back in to heat for a 10 second blast). Once melted leave to the side to cool slightly.
3. Place 175g Light Soft Brown Sugar, 1 large Egg and 1tsp Vanilla Extract into a bowl and pour over the slightly cooled butter
4. Gently mix together. This may take a couple of minutes so don’t panic if the butter looks like it’s ever going to mix in! Start off slowly so that the melted butter doesn’t slosh out onto you!
5. Tip in one third of the 175g Plain Flour, 1/2tsp Baking Powder, 1/2tsp Salt, and 1/8tsp Bicarbonate of Soda into the wet mixture folding in gently until combined. Repeat with the other two thirds of Flour until it’s all thoroughly mixed in.
6. Finally, fold in roughly half of the 130g of Chocolate Chips before scooping the mixture into your baking tin. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is crispy and there’s still just a very slight wobble in the centre (this will give you the chewy bottom!)
7. Remove the tin from the oven & leave to cool completely before lifting out by the paper & cutting into bars (the size is your choice!). The bars can be kept in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.
Melanie, Food Adventurer